Force-Quit a Stuck iDisk
Wednesday January 04th 2006, 10:25 am
Filed under: OS X

Apple’s iDisk is meant to be an easy-to-use alternative to sending files over the net by FTP. Normally, you first rent the space you need, and then access it with OS X’s “Connect to Server” command. (For frequent visits, it might be simpler to use a free or inexpensive FTP program.)

When you rent iDisk space from Apple, on the other hand, it immediately appears like any other disk on your system, and you just copy files to and from it transparently.

Unfortunately, as well as being more expensive, this process seems to be a bit more error-prone. Sometimes iDisks freeze, and you can’t Force-Quit them like you can an ordinary program.

Step 1. First, go to your Applications folder, find the Utilities folder, and open up your Activity Monitor. Unlike the window that appears when you give the Force Quit command, the Activity Monitor will show any hidden programs you have running in the background.

Step 2. Find the program, or “process,” called mount_webdav. Click on the “stop” button.

Step 3. Confirm that you want to close your crashed iDisk. You can now reconnect and resume what you were doing, without rebooting your whole machine. Any files you were in the process of copying are probably incomplete, and need to be copied over again.

Nice. I googled “Force quit idisk” and ended up here.

I followed your directions and now am on my way.

Comment by chris 06.20.06 @ 4:24 pm

Most of time freezing and erroring.
can’t use it.

Comment by Quit smoking guide 05.13.09 @ 11:29 pm

Worked perfectly and immediately! I’m in Leopard OSX 10.5.6, and the process I stopped in the Activity Monitor was called webdavfs_agent.

Thank you so much, my iDisk was totally a spinning beachball for days.

Comment by Gale 06.29.09 @ 10:56 pm

Thanks Everyone- Online forums are the best for troubleshooting. Thanks to everyone who post solutions!

Comment by Erik 08.18.09 @ 3:54 pm

birkenstock papillio

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by birkenstock store 11.14.15 @ 2:34 am

Magnificent items from you, man. I have remember your stuff prior
to and you are simply too wonderful. I really like what you
have acquired right here, really like what you’re stating and
the way in which you are saying it. You are making
it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it
wise. I can not wait to learn much more from you. That is actually a terrific website.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by quest bars 02.18.16 @ 6:35 pm

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the good work.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by quest bars 02.19.16 @ 1:50 am

Your mode of explaining the whole thing in this
post is in fact fastidious, all can effortlessly understand it, Thanks a lot.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by plenty of fish dating site of free dating 02.22.16 @ 7:02 pm

I believe that is among the most vital info for me. And i am glad studying your
article. However wanna commentary on some basic things, The website style is ideal, the articles is
in reality great : D. Good task, cheers

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by plenty of fish dating Site of free dating 02.23.16 @ 9:03 am

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through
some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless,
I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by bing.com 03.01.16 @ 7:53 am