MIDI over a Network
Thursday July 05th 2007, 3:01 am
Filed under: Live Performance

OS X Tiger includes a useful new feature: you can now send MIDI between computers over an ordinary network. You don’t need any additional hardware, and the connection appears as just one more ordinary MIDI port available to your applications. It’s a simple and effective way to have multiple laptop performers share control information, or to coordinate multiple computers during a live show.

Before starting this tutorial, you’ll need at least two OS X Tiger Macs that share a network. If you have WiFi, you can follow this tutorial first to create a direct wireless connection, without going through a router. (However you set it up, remember to turn off your firewalls first, or else make sure that they’re not going to interfere.)

Step 1. Find and launch the Audio MIDI Setup utility:

Step 2. Go to the MIDI Devices and open the Network device:

Step 3. To start with, use the following settings:

Step 4. Choose a computer from the list and connect to it:

Step 5. If you’re successful, the computer will now appear in the Participants list. If you can’t connect, your network settings are most likely to blame. (Check to see whether you can do other ordinary network tasks, like copying files from the other computer.)

Note: On some older Macs, closing the Audio MIDI Setup utility appears to break the connection. Try it and see–if you have this problem, you’ll have to keep the utility running to stay connected.

Step 6. If everything has gone smoothly, you’ll have created a new MIDI Port with the name Network (Session 1). Select it from inside a MIDI program and test it out!

I’ve tried the midi over ethernet (with a dual 500mhz gigabit G4 POWERMAC & a G3 blue & white POWERMAC 450mhz, both running OSX TIGER) and set it up as you’ve illustrated and can not seem to get it working at all, can you help ? am I doing something wrong?. I’m using a 100 mbps belkin 4 port switch to network them and I can transfer files fine and share a network hard drive okay so I know they see each other.

Comment by Phillip Leo 09.03.07 @ 6:22 am

At what point in the tutorial do things stop working? Try running the Audio/MIDI Setup utility on each computer…does that help?

Comment by Nick 09.03.07 @ 6:30 am

I also have the same issue. Garageband and Ableton Live see the Network port with the name Session 1, but no MIDI signal is being transmitted. I am attempting to route using the live routing from the keyboard attached to my desktop to the MIDI in port of my laptop over LAN.

Comment by Lou 09.03.07 @ 1:23 pm

I have set it all up it gets a connetion but after a minuit it TIMES OUT. I have set up a firewall rule in both system prefs and on my router but still the same thing happnig. im conneting my G4 laptops together both running 10.4.10. im al so running teleport to controol them both and it works fine with just a rule set up in system prefs. What am i doing wrong.
Thanks

Comment by Sunda 09.19.07 @ 11:54 pm

Is there any way to set MIDI over LAN on 10.3.x?

I have it working fine on my Tiger machines, but I have to run 10.3.x to get my audio card’s driver to run.

(I tried Audio over LAN – very unreliable!)

Comment by Burt Goldstein 01.10.08 @ 11:09 am

Yup–you do it over OSC, the most widely-used MIDI-over-ethernet protocol. A lot of popular MIDI software can also talk over a network using OSC. It’s a bit tougher to set up than this Tiger feature, but on the positive side it can work with any hardware or OS.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSound_Control

If your MIDI app doesn’t support OSC, you’ll have to send your MIDI info to an OSC app via the IAC driver, and then reverse the process on the other end. PD and SuperCollider are two free apps that can do this job.

There’s also a Mac utility from STEIM, JunXion, that simplifies this process, but it costs €75.

(I need to write a tutorial for this soon.)

Comment by Nick 01.10.08 @ 11:23 am

tried like the tutorial says , both using Live8 last version with Macbook pros … it almost works , there is still a fluctuation . So the best way is to just synchronise without anything and let them run.

Comment by sammy 05.01.09 @ 7:13 am

This stuff really helped me with my hair loss.

Comment by Propecia 05.01.09 @ 7:19 am

[…] would work right away using traditional midi over network systems that already exist in MAC […]

Pingback by DJ TechTools  |  MIDI- Coming Soon on a Ipad near you.. 11.04.10 @ 5:29 pm

[…] a tutorial on setting up MIDI on an OS X network at Nix Fox-Gieg’s […]

Pingback by Free Wireless MIDI control app for iPhone/iPad : Steelberry Clones 01.22.11 @ 9:54 pm

[…] Nick Fox-Gieg’s Tutorials » MIDI over a NetworkJul 5, 2007 … OS X Tiger includes a useful new feature: you can now send MIDI between computers over an ordinary network. You don’t need any additional … […]

Pingback by Midi foc | Sharpaxeconsul 07.27.11 @ 2:10 am

Pingback by Midi foc | Golneatr 09.15.11 @ 11:16 am

[…] It will also give new websites a great start by getting your websites quickly indexed and getting huge amount of backlinks in the process. Original Post: http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/ […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (199.188.200.60) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (199.188.200.61) and so is spam.

Pingback by Trackback Software 12.07.12 @ 5:21 pm

Twitter Bot…

Nick Fox-Gieg’s Tutorials » MIDI over a Network…

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (194.71.223.3) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (74.220.215.91) and so is spam.

Trackback by Twitter Bot 02.14.13 @ 9:22 pm

[…] More: http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/ […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (173.201.196.93) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (173.201.246.128) and so is spam.

Pingback by wifi phones: PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger – White 02.21.13 @ 7:00 pm

[…] More: http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/ […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (173.201.196.94) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (173.201.246.128) and so is spam.

Pingback by The Princess Bride: S. Morgensterns classic tale of true love and high adventure. 02.28.13 @ 5:38 pm

[…] Read More: http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/ […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (50.63.197.210) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (50.62.239.1) and so is spam.

Pingback by Building Your Own Wi-Fi Antenna Cable 04.03.13 @ 11:26 am

[…] MIDI over a Network […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (93.184.35.43) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (93.184.35.40) and so is spam.

Pingback by Ableton Live | Pearltrees 07.24.13 @ 2:20 am

[…] Read More: http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/ […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (199.188.205.29) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (199.188.205.30) and so is spam.

Pingback by twitter marketing software 08.01.13 @ 11:00 pm

[…] Source Page: http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/ […]

Pingback by Twitter Marketing Tool 09.22.13 @ 4:48 am

[…] More: http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2007/midi-over-a-network/ […]

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (50.87.144.129) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (192.232.223.63) and so is spam.

Pingback by Wine Lovers Guide 10.06.13 @ 1:29 pm

i can’t even find it
what apps can connect to it

Comment by games 01.13.14 @ 4:09 am

I just like the helpful info you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at once more here regularly. I’m somewhat sure Ill learn a lot of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following! afekggaakkkdebbk

Comment by Smitha300 12.28.14 @ 12:15 pm

Very nice site!

Comment by Pharmb618 12.30.14 @ 11:14 am

Hi there, simply turned into aware of your blog thru Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you happen to continue this in future. Lots of people will likely be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

Comment by binary option educational video 11.14.15 @ 12:22 pm

Very nice Views! I wish I saw this earlier. Related information can be found at http://canigivemybaby.com/asparagus/

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘896873513 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by Lona Malandra 01.26.16 @ 3:59 pm

http://www.TimesLive.co.za – The Best Online Newspaper 2016

Comment by Patti Bowles 02.14.16 @ 1:30 pm

Great blog here! Also your website loads up very fast!
What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by quest bars 02.17.16 @ 8:13 am

Rubio eighth game 14 assists, tied the record in NBA
nike free run 2 mens melbourne http://www.woodsing.net/m416/

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by nike free run 2 mens melbourne 02.18.16 @ 9:21 am

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would
never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me.

I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of
it!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by quest bars 02.18.16 @ 8:35 pm

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
Your website offered us with valuable information to work on.
You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by quest bars 02.19.16 @ 2:57 am

You can certainly see your expertise in the article you write.
The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such
as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. At all
times follow your heart.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by plenty Of fish dating site of Free dating 02.23.16 @ 9:27 am

Howdy would you mind letting me know which web host you’re utilizing?
I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must
say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a honest price?
Cheers, I appreciate it!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by insurance 02.29.16 @ 8:25 pm

Thank you for another informative website.

The place else may I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal way?
I have a undertaking that I am just now running on, and I’ve been on the glance out for such
info.

my web blog – ElishaZMaggs

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by ElishaZMaggs 03.01.16 @ 6:48 pm

Greetings! Very helpfᥙl advіcᥱ in tɦіѕ рaгtiϲuⅼɑг ροѕt!

Ιt іѕ tҺе lіttlе сһangᥱs tҺɑt ρгοԀսϲe tҺе mоѕt
іmροгtаnt cɦɑngeѕ.
Τhаnkѕ а lߋt fοr shaгіng!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by lebara contract 03.01.16 @ 7:30 pm

An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment.
I do think that you need to write more on this subject
matter, it may not be a taboo subject but usually people do not discuss such subjects.
To the next! Many thanks!!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by etiqa car insurance malaysia 03.01.16 @ 8:39 pm

Thanks for helping out, excellent information.

Comment by Artist Handling 03.04.16 @ 2:17 am